Friday, January 28, 2011

My Experience

This past summer I shadowed at Centerpoint Hospital in Independence.  My old girl scout leader is a nurse there so I went and followed her around for a few hours every other day in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. I saw and learned many new things.  I learned how to insert an IV in a babies hand or foot. I also saw two C-sections, which was pretty cool. I was nervous at first because I thought all the blood and stuff would get to me but it didn't bother me. I almost saw a circumcision but I decided to see a C-section instead. I was allowed to feed one of the babies and burp her. Which I learned that today they suggest that you hold the baby up right and away from you because when the baby is laying down and close to you he or she will usually fall asleep.

That’s all I’ve ever really experienced while shadowing.  I didn’t go to other parts of the hospital because I don’t want to work in those areas when I become a nurse.  Once I get into nursing school I will get to work in every area of the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment